My moment of clarity:Blogging is a load of bollocks!!!

Blogging: What a flaming crock of shit!

Anyone can start a blog, literally anyone, you don’t need any special skills or experience, no need for a degree in writing or any kind of journalistic skills. All you need is the internet, a website, and social media pages. There are literally thousands of bloggers all writing pretty much the same shite content, be it lifestyle, parenting, fashion, beauty, the list is just endless.

A blogger once said in a group “You don’t need to be a great writer to be a blogger” this struck me as kind of condescending at the time, the blogger in question had been to uni got the fancy degree, you know the type one of those who professes that they only ever wanted to be a writer (yeah right).  What did it mean, I had never considered myself good at anything when it came to my blog, my grammar isn’t perfect and often the words don’t flow.

Its taken me a while to realise it doesn’t matter, it really doesn’t if your blog’s good or bad, because really its all just a matter of opinion.

I personally don’t read blogs, mainly for two reasons:

  1. They don’t interest me and 2. I don’t really have the time for them. I’m a mum of two pretty young boys whatever free time I have I’m going to spend doing something I enjoy not something I feel I have to do just because I would like my blog to be successful. There are a few pages I follow on Facebook that are humorous to me, I’m currently having a social media weeding, un-following the pages who are just constantly link dumping or sneakily trying to sell something or just plain old boring to me.

I started this blog a few years back when my youngest Max was 12 weeks old, he was a bit of a poorly baby and I wanted something to focus on, get the old grey matter working again. I started out on the free WordPress platform, I enjoyed it I really did. I followed a few other blogs via the WordPress reader. It was fun and enjoyable and there was no pressure, the posts were short and sweet and went against pretty much every rule in the blogging handbook. I didn’t know nor really care about things like SEO, owning my own domain, promoting or being involved in a community. It was bliss, I miss it and I’m kind of determined to get that back.

I joined some facebook groups and started to learn about a whole world I never knew existed, I even created my own. I went self-hosted, starting posting content regularly, for a while there almost daily. I tried to niche down and only write about parenting, parenting advice and reviews for brands.

I soon came to the realisation that writing a post is only really 10% of blogging, the other 90% is the promotion. Dropping your links everywhere and anywhere (but watch out don’t be too spammy) being present on social media, basically being part of the community (spoiler alert, its a pretty shit community)

It kind of ruined blogging for me, it went from something I enjoyed, you know just writing about my experiences as a new mum without the high traffic expectation, occasionally receiving an item to test and review (perks and all that). A year after going self-hosted I found that I was starting to despise blogging and what it stood for.

In the beginning, I thought it could be my voice but I soon came to see that I couldn’t always write what I wanted to for fear that my opinions may be misconstrued. That the content may pee people off or just not be good enough.

The blog started as a tribute to my kids but I don’t want to write about them anymore. I want to write about anything and everything, fuck niches and writing for an ideal “reader” I’m writing for me, this is my blog my space, my words.

It doesn’t matter if people don’t read it if I only have a handful of readers a post, who cares will the world carry on turning, of course, it will.

Blogging will never be my be all and end all, I refuse to schedule my life around it, making money from this space isn’t a priority for me now. I refuse to write shit about a product or a service just cos I’ve been paid to do so. My family are my be all and end all, as sad as it may sound so is my house and the day to day. It may sound boring to some but it’s what makes my world tick.

You can expect a bit of a different blogging pace this year, oh and a name change from Max and Kai to Rainbows and Rain. I’m not focusing on the boys anymore so it seems somehow wrong to use their names. Rainbows and rain just describe how I feel sometimes, life can be exceptional but then there’s a downpour in my brain that seems to dampen it slightly, hence the rain part. I’m keeping the max and Kai domain, mainly cos I can’t be arsed buying another one, it seems a bit wasteful haha!

I plan to post as and when. It doesn’t matter if nobody reads what I have to say, I think secretly part of me would prefer it if you didn’t!

 

 

Follow:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *