Last year saw a lot of change for me in terms of the blog. I had decided that after going self-hosted back in September that I would make a proper go of the “blog thing”, other’s have had great success from their blogs so why not me.
I brought a new theme made some major changes to the look and feel of the blog and began to post daily.
I joined various facebook groups and pushed my posts through these groups as well as the other social media platforms such as Twitter.
Danny treated me to a spanking new laptop for my birthday which changed my blogging life. Previous to this I had been blogging from my phone (to be honest, this is never a good idea) so this purchase was a real game changer.
I gained a lot of knowledge in a very short time, I also started looking at other bloggers in my “niche” and tried so hard to keep up with them. I was working every day not only on my posts and promotion but keeping up with social media. I was on the laptop until gone 12 most night.
It wasn’t ideal! My family life and house severely suffered.
I inevitably burned out after about 8 weeks of working like this. I panicked and there was a lot of self-doubt over my worth and the worth of my blog.
I love my blog and I love writing, but I did consider taking it back to private and just having it as a lovely memory book for my kid’s.
Thank the lord for the Christmas holiday, I took a much-needed break. I didn’t post anything for a week or so. It was refreshing.
The outcome from my trial separation with the blog was the following, to be trialled in 2017:
- Less blogging – 3 or 4 posts a week instead of 7
- Invest more time into Social Media, this is much more manageable.
- Invest more time into my group “The Pod”, I love being able to help other with their reach and promotion.
- No more stressing about whether my blog stands up against others. It doesn’t matter!!! (Repeat to self)
- The most important thing for this year is to really be present for my kids, without them there would be no blog!
The idea is that less will eventually become so much more.
Lets watch this space!!!!